London City Airport CCTV Privacy Notice
At London City Airport we are committed to protecting the privacy and processing of your personal information. This privacy notice sets out how London City Airport collects and processes the personal data captured by Our closed-circuit television (“CCTV”) surveillance systems.
Who are We?
“We” “Our” “Us” refers to London City Airport Limited, a company registered in England with company number 01963361 and London City Airport Jet Centre Limited, a company registered in England with company number 2120138. Our registered offices are at City Aviation House, Royal Docks, London E16 2PB.
What is personal information?
Personal information is personal data which is defined by the General Data Protection Regulation (EU) 2016/679 (“GDPR”) and the Data Protection Act 2018 as “any information relating to an identified or identifiable natural person ('data subject'); an identifiable natural person is one who can be identified, directly or indirectly, in particular by reference to an identifier such as a name, an identification number, location data, an online identifier or to one or more factors specific to the physical, physiological, genetic, mental, economic, cultural or social identity of that natural person”.
What information do We collect about you through our CCTV surveillance systems?
When you use London City Airport, we may collect static or moving imagery of you via our CCTV surveillance systems which are located across the airport premises and its surrounding perimeters.
Why do We collect personal information and how do We use it?
We collect and process personal information via Our CCTV surveillance systems for the following purposes:
- for the safety of all airport users including but not limited to staff, passengers, airlines, business partners and visitors;
- for the prevention, detection and/or reduction of crime;
- for counter-terrorism purposes;
- for the prevention and effective response to all forms of possible harassment and disorder;
- for the creation of a safer environment;
- for the provision of emergency services assistance;
- for the investigation of legal or other claims or allegations;
- for the billing of car park services; and
- for health and safety related matters.
- together the “Purposes“.
What is the legal basis upon which We collect your personal information?
We rely on Our legitimate interests as the lawful basis of processing personal information through our CCTV surveillance systems. Such legitimate interests include:
- maintenance of the safety and security of Our visitors, premises and property;
- prevention and detection of crime and safety related incidents; and
- pursuing the Purposes.
Who do We share the personal information collected with?
We may share information captured via our CCTV surveillance systems with law enforcement agencies such Border Force, the Police and the National Crime Agency. We may also share CCTV surveillance footage with our airline partners on occasion where we consider it necessary to pursue a Purpose.
How do We store your personal information?
We store CCTV footage on Our secure servers which are based within the United Kingdom. We do not transfer or store CCTV footage outside of the United Kingdom for any reason.
How long will We retain your information for?
We generally retain CCTV footage for one calendar month as We consider this to be the shortest period necessary in order to fulfil the Purposes for which we have set out to collect the information. On some occasions we may retain footage for a longer period if, for example, there is an ongoing investigation.
Your rights in relation to your personal information
Under the GDPR and the Data Protection Act 2018, you have rights we need to make you aware of including the right to:
- request a copy of the personal information that we hold about you;
- ask us to rectify information you think is inaccurate. You also have the right to ask Us to complete information you think is incomplete;
- ask Us to erase your personal information in certain circumstances;
- ask Us to restrict the processing of your information in certain circumstances;
- object to the processing of your information in certain circumstances; and
- withdraw consent for the processing of your information where this is justified, and we have no other legitimate grounds for processing it.
To exercise your rights in respect of your personal information, please contact our dedicated Data Protection Officer at firstname.lastname@example.org or alternatively by post at
FAO: Data Protection Officer, City Aviation House, Royal Docks, E16 2PB.
For general queries relating to CCTV, you can contact our Customer Service team on CustomerServiceTerminalManager@londoncityairport.com
We will always review any request you make in relation to your personal information in accordance with the Data Protection Act 2018, having always regard to the interests of national security when doing so.
If you are unsatisfied with Our response or handling of your personal information, you also have the right to make a complaint to the data protection supervisory authority in the UK, the Information Commissioner’s Office (“ICO”) which can be contacted through various means available on the ICO’s website https://ico.org.uk/global/contact-us/.
Changes to this Privacy Notice
This Privacy Notice was updated in October 2019 and will be reviewed annually.