Work Experience at London City Airport
Want to work at London City Airport?
Are you over 16 years old and a resident in one of the following London boroughs?
- Barking and Dagenham
- Epping Forest
- Tower Hamlets
- Waltham Forest
The work experience programme provides local residences with the opportunity to develop a variety of skills and to gain insight into the different careers at the airport.
The programme consists of a five-day placement which runs 23 – 27 April 2018.
Deadline to submit applications: 1 March Successful applicants notified by 12 March. Interviews will be held between 19-30 March. Placement takes place: 23-27 April.
Applications Process 2018
There are a variety of departments to choose from which include:
The key functions of the finance team are:
- Ensure invoices are payed and funds are received
- Budget setting for each department
- Issuing weekly Bankers’ Automated Clearing Services (BAC’s)
- Preparation of financial reports
If you are interested in a placement with the Finance Department you must express you interest in numbers and eagerness to learn about the processes involved in the finance team.
London City Airport's Private Jet Centre is the only private jet centre situated within London itself which means the passenger arrives closer to the key business districts. Click here to find out more.
Airfield Operations and Safety
The key functions of the Airfield Operations and Safety team are as follows:
- To manage and regulate the airfield, ensuring that it is safe
- To collect and interpret information from Air Traffic Control, Handling Agents and Airlines - To control bird and wildlife habitat on the airfield
- To maintain statistical database for recording safety activity and identifying trends.
If you are interested in a placement in Airfield Operations and Safety you must be a good communicator and have a genuine interest in the aviation industry. In addition, the right candidate will have a passion for compliance and safety regulations on the airfield.
The key functions of the Fire Service team are as follows:
- Responding to any emergency involving aircraft, property or airfield
- Assisting in fire prevention duties within airport premises
- Carrying out fire safety inspections, including checking of equipment
- Providing assistance to disabled passengers getting on or off the aircraft.
If you are interested in a placement in the Fire Service you must have a good attitude towards safety, be inquisitive and have a desire to learn about how the Fire Service acts as a response unit within the airport.
The key functions of the IT team are as follows
- Providing technical support for the entire airport, this includes all technical issues landside and airside
- Supporting with software packages and operating systems
- Overseeing the setup of new hardware and to train users on such systems.
This placement will suit anyone who interested in IT and gaining insight in the way in which it functions within an airport. Someone with a passion for IT systems and processes would be well suited for this placement.
Legal The key functions of the legal department are as follows:
- To provide legal advice
- To draft and negotiate documentation
- To deal with employment, commercial and property matters
- To advise management on any changes in legislation or practices
This placement would suit anyone that is interest in law and the way it functions within the airport. A person with a passion for legislation and a desire to pursue a career in law would be well suited for this placement.
Tax and Duty Free Store- Aelia
The key functions of the Aelia Tax and Duty Free shop are as follows:
- To approach all customers in a confident, well-mannered and professional way
- To assist customers in finding what they need
- To offer a clean, comfortable and welcoming environment for customers to shop in
- To ensure all staff are well trained and knowledgeable on all products that are sold in the store.
This placement will involve constant face to face interaction with airport passengers. The placement would require someone with a confident but professional approach and the desire to work in a retail environment. Someone with strong communication skills and an eye for detail would also be well suited to this placement.
As well as Aelia Tax and Duty Free store we have a range of concession stores onsite that offer work experience to local residents. If you have a desire to work in a retail environment, are a good communicator and enjoy face to face interaction with a range of customers this placement would be well suited to you. During your interview you will be informed of the concession stores that are offering work experience at the time, you will then be asked to choose your preferred store.
The key functions of the Customer Service Centre team are as follows:
- Respond to a vast range of enquires from both internal and external customers
- Provide a variety of information and services for all onsite staff and passengers
- Work with our onsite partners including concessions and airlines to deliver a smooth seamless service for all incoming and outgoing passengers
- Maintain a high level of customer service at all times.
Anyone interested in a placement with the Customer Service Centre team must be well presented and prepared to approach their work in a professional manner. They must have a passion for working with people and delivering a high standard of service all times.
The key functions of the Ramp Safety team are as follows:
- To ensure that a high safety culture is followed throughout the ramp
- To monitor, document and analyse working practices on the ramp
- To gather data from regular checks and identify ramp safety trends.
This placement would suit someone with a good attitude towards safety and an interest of how safety regulations apply to the ramp.