London City Airport wins passenger satisfaction award
Airports Council International (ACI) World recognises London City with prestigious Airport Service Quality (ASQ) Award
London City Airport has been awarded the title of Best Airport in Europe for airports in the 2 to 5 million passengers per annum category in the prestigious Airport Council International’s Airport Service Quality (ASQ) awards. ASQ is the world’s leading benchmarking survey with over 380 airports participating across 90 countries.
Over the course of 2018, quarterly surveys of departing passengers at London City Airport were conducted where passengers were asked to score their experience on a wide range of matters including their journey to the airport, going through security, as well as overall cleanliness and ambience.
In particular, London City Airport excelled when passengers were asked to score the courtesy of airport staff, safety and waiting times. This contributed to an overall, year end score of 4.2 out of 5, making it the best performing London airport and third best in the whole of the UK.
The award makes 2018 a landmark year for the central London airport. It also celebrated welcoming a record-breaking 4.8 million passengers, launched new routes to Rome and Porto, won the title of Best Airport in the World Under 5 million passengers at the Skytrax awards, and began building its airport of the future as part of a four-year, £500 million development programme.
When welcoming the news, Robert Sinclair, Chief Executive Officer at London City Airport, said:
London City Airport has gained a reputation over the years for offering a world class passenger experience, and this award from ACI World is confirmation of it. Our vision is to make air travel to and from the heart of London as quick and easy as possible, with a growing range of airlines and routes which make London City a perfect choice whether for business or leisure. A massive thank you must go to our dedicated staff and business partners, who day in, day out, go that extra mile to provide an airport experience that our passengers truly love.
In 2019 the airport expects to break the 5 million passenger mark for the first time in its history and has already commenced new routes to Warsaw, Budapest, Newcastle and Munich, with Split and Vilnius to follow in the summer.
Alongside this, numerous investments are being made to further improve the passenger experience at the airport including the introduction of an ambulift service for passengers with reduce mobility and in upgrading the Wi-Fi on offer to passengers so they can more easily check work emails or stream music.
Notes to editors:
- More information on ASQ can be found here
- Southampton, Tallinn and Zagreb airports also received awards.
- LCY’s overall satisfaction score in 2018 (4.20) is the highest-ever score since joining the programme in 2016 (Full Year 2016 only based on Q4 2016 as LCY joined the programme in that quarter).
- Year-on-year the airport’s customer satisfaction score has increased by 2.2% from 4.11 to 4.20, leading to a jump from 2nd to 1st place in the London airport rankings.
- For customer satisfaction relating to ground transportation, London City Airport performs best in the UK and 4th in Europe, scoring 4.31 out of 5.
- The airport has the highest customer satisfaction for business travellers in the UK, scoring 4.23 out of 5.