Security and Baggage
Together, we've got it covered.
Prepare for a fast and smooth Security check
When you reach London City Airport’s Security area, an officer will check your hand baggage and clothing to see whether you have any dangerous or banned goods with you. Security can take longer if you have a lot of bags with you, so please put any items you don’t need during your journey into your check-in bags.
Please leave everything in your bag
Thanks to the new CT scanners at London City Airport, you can leave liquids and electronics in your hand baggage at the security check.
Security checklist for travellers
Please follow the instructions on video screens to go through Security as smoothly and speedily as possible:
- You are no longer required to take liquids, laptops, tablets, or other electronic devices out of your hand baggage.
- Only liquids and gels in containers of up to 2 litres are allowed in your hand luggage.
- Please note only one cigarette lighter is allowed per person.
- Be sure to declare any camera film to the Security Officer before it enters the CT scanner.
- Always follow the Security officer’s instructions.
Thermal water bottles
Thermal bottles have a double layer of insulation that our liquid test machines cannot penetrate. When our scanning equipment can’t verify this type of bottle, it may automatically reject the tray.
For this reason, please empty all contents before placing a bottle in the security tray. You can refill it in the Departures lounge. Thanks for your patience and cooperation to help speed up this process.
Security at the airport isn’t just about screening your bags, find out how we work with The Metropolitan Police and Project Servator.
Baggage rules vary between airlines and the type of ticket purchased. You are advised to check baggage rules with your airline before arriving at London City Airport.
Click here for airline contact details.
Please note that other airports across UK and Europe may not have the same liquids allowance.
Thank you for your cooperation. We wish you a safe and pleasant journey.
Overnight Bag Drop
Sleep tight, travel light, Bid adieu to your luggage worries with British Airways overnight bag drop service.
Available from 18:00-20:30 for British Airways flights departing the next day on or before 09:00.
Just head to any of British Airways bag drop desks located at the airport.
- You’ll need your boarding pass, passport and all travel documents, including health tests required for the journey.
- You can take up to 2 litres of liquid through security at London City Airport.
- You can also drop off bags for others travelling with you, but they must be on the same booking, and you must bring their passports and travel documents.